Shop urban + pearl + studio

Monday, February 9, 2015


The Prom Closet, Plano, TX 2015

Every year I seek out a charitable group where I can offer my skills or talents. After watching the local news last year and seeing this touching story, I knew this is how I wanted to spend my volunteerism hours and charitable dollars for 2015.

This wonderful program is called "The Prom Closet". In its 7th year, 2015, The Prom Closet provides dresses, jewelry, shoes and accessories for girls that otherwise would not have been able to attend Prom due to the rising costs of attending. This shopping adventure is free to all girls, regardless of where they reside. How great is that, and I'm so excited that I will also be a volunteer this year and be able to personally help accessorize the girls with the jewelry that has been handcrafted with love.
 
 
Considering I am an artisan jeweler, Urban Pearl Studio on Etsy.com, that sells handcrafted artisan pearl wedding bridal jewelry. So what better way to offer up my skills, make jewelry! Over the course of 5 years, I have collected bins and bins of pearls and beads that are either no longer for sale or are bits leftover from a project. Combining all these wonderful components with findings I purchased, I have thus far created around 200 pieces of jewelry to donate to The Prom Closet. I'm pretty sure that will make a difference!

The first year, the Prom Closet provided 35 dresses to local high school girls, and last year 678 girls received dresses and accessories, all donated by community members, local groups, corporations, and businesses.  Dresses sized 0 to 28 are available, many of which have never been worn.
 

 
 
This year, The Prom Closet 2015 will host its 7th annual shopping spree, March 24 – 26 (Tues.-Thurs.) 4 – 8 p.m. and Saturday, March 28, 9 a.m. – noon at St. Andrew United Methodist Church, located at 5801 W. Plano Parkway, Plano, TX  75093. For more information go to www.standrewumc.org or call the church office at 972-380-8001. Email standrewpromcloset@gmail.com. The Prom Closet is still seeking donations and while they now have plenty of dresses, they are still in need of shoes, jewelry and handbags/accessories to help finish off the total look.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. What a fabulous project! It's so heartwarming to hear about the wonderful work being done to make these girls feel like the princesses they truly are! I am familiar with your jewelry and know that every piece donated has to thrill each recipient! Great work with great spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful shop! Makes me (even)proud(er) to be a Texan! I can only imagine how thrilled happy those prom girls are to wear your beautiful jewelry along with their special dress!

    ReplyDelete